Monday, January 6, 2014

Ruby : Quite the Gem



Ruby is a scripting language, much like Python. It can be used across all plat forms making it a rather dynamic language.  Ruby is also object oriented so every value is an object. Variables hold references to objects. Every function is a method, and all methods are called on objects.

What I think about Ruby -
In May I got tasked with learning ruby in order to create automated tests. Before ruby we were using strictly selenium and XPath for our automated tests. But we added the element of cucumber to our tests and we drive cucumber with ruby scripts. Learning ruby was quite interesting. This is the first language that I have had to learn quickly in order to get result as soon as possible.

I like how lite and quick straight ruby is, also rather easy to learn too.  I did not have too much problems doing everything that I needed to accomplish. Although I do not like how threading works in Ruby. It is not as efficient as Java obviously, but it just seems unstable at time. This might have been the task I was trying to do , but it just did not work out.


Overall, I think Ruby is a great scripting language and is optimal for automated tests. It is quick and efficient. Ruby is easy to learn and does not have a high learning curve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment